Re: OT: DOS booting

Jordan wrote:
They get big bucks for the version that also
provides write capability. (I wouldn't rule out the
possibility that someone, somewhere has created a free
driver that writes to NTFS. Almost every week, I hear
of some software item I never knew existed.)
There is one: ntfs-4dos. Unfortunately, I so far haven't been able to
download it.
I burned two version of FREEDOS. One asked for a key, which I don't have
and wasn't in the zip file I dl-ed from them, nor can I find anything about
a key on their site (figures). The other almost booted. Almost--until I got
an Opcode error with a memory address. Right now, I'm trying to report that
on Bugzilla/FreeDOS.
Seems like there's a "catch" with everything. Don't know why. I'm not
trying to do anything exotic, just boot my computer from a CD that would
work when the main drive is in trouble. Of course, "Recovery discs" came
with the computer. And of course, they don't do anything helpful.
> >I drop the partition images I've made with
> >it to one, in just this manner.

> What do you mean "drop to one"?

. and sometimes even if one has. For this reason, I
like to confine my experimenting to *clones* of a
production drive. This greatly limits the downside.

Good idea. Words to live by.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx