Re: Code pages

Michael Norman wrote:
Finally, for the uninitiated, do we have to load CP 850 at DOS before we can use it or is it part of the normal DOS set-up (under whatever iteration of WIN)?
I don't think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that you can set the
CP for DOS. It's ipso facto 437. Xy, however, lets you also choose
850; and Clip correctly translates between 850 in Xy and 1252, which
is what is used by all Windows apps.
Now one wrinkle in my setup is that when I install Windows on a PC
that only I will be using, I install not the regular US keyboard but
the US International one. That gives me the ability to put accents on
letters without having to worry about numeric codes: when I want an
umlaut, I type plain quotation marks (shift+'), then the letter I want
umlauted. The tricky thing is that if I want real quotation marks, and
the letter that follows is one that could take an umlaut (a, e, i, o,
u), I have to remember to hit the space bar, otherwise I get not
"Another..." but Änother... Whether that affects my DOS CP or not I
don't know. But the XP box on which I tested is one that I hardly ever
use, and it has the plain US keyboard installed--and yielded VA/NV LA 850.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx