Re: doublespacing

≪ I doubt very much that the intent [of the LF variable]
was to show double-spacing on screen. If it had been, then
why not triple-spacing? quadruple-spacing? That was just an
accidental consequence. The purpose was to supply a LineFeed
if the machine simply put out a CarriageReturn without the
(now implicit and "bundled", but twenty years ago always
separate) LF. And for working with documents imported from a
Unix environment. They probably dropped it from Xy4 because
it's dumb. ≫ --Robert Holmgren

That misinformation is just a bad guess. Is it too much to
ask people to refrain from raising this list's already high
noise level by speculating in a tone that implies they speak
authoritatively? The lf variable has nothing to do with
carriage returns or linefeeds.

≪ I'd be curious to know what the 3+ manual says
about LF (I'm on a boat) ... ≫

My xyW3 manual is too buried to dig out, but The Herb wrote
on p396 of The Book (which I thought you proofed):

"LF[:] Line spacing display. Displays as 0 or 1. One means
the line spacing display is currently toggled on. Zero means
it's off."

xyW3 {ct} tables always display as if lf=1, a pain with
my normal ls=12,pl=640 (points, i.e.). Unless I remember
to embed {ls1} in tables and remove it to print I get a
two-lines-per-screen display. My lf is never anything but 0,
but what's dumb is telling people who use or used a popular
xyW feature that it's dumb just because you didn't use it
or know about it. ... Ciao. 	--a

Too busy to get out in a boat yourself? Get your feet wet vicariously:

http://www.escape.com/%7Eadpf/ ===============================