Re: T40 Battery {was: Opinions on Presario Laptop}

At 2/2/2004 07:31 PM -0500, Robert Holmgren wrote:
Because Princeton has
wireless in its classrooms, and students are expected to bring their computers
to class -- an idea I very much like, because otherwise when do you have an
opportunity to read the Times, W.Post, and Guardian?
So that's what my students are doing while I'm trying to explain dramatic
irony and relative clauses. And I thought they were collecting my pearls.
 -- I figured, hey, great
to have a battery that lasts all day. He's the guy who said 9 hours. I asked
him to call me when the T40 was available -- and two months later, he phoned.
I couldn't believe it.
Ah, the siren song of the salesman. Was he Greek? Seriously, Robert, it's a
fine machine. Somehow my first one came with a corrupted OS. The
replacement was perfect, however -- 1.6G, 40Gb HD, wireless and CD-RW
standard. I brought the RAM up to a gig, overkill no doubt. Re: battery
life; there is a combo that will give you 9 hours -- their extended
battery, the humpback, plus a beefy drive-bay battery. The T4X series has
only one bay, I think, so that means you give up your optical drive. I'll
get the extended battery and settle, happily, for 5-7 hours. BTW, their
service is, indeed, excellent. How do you backup the distant laptops?
You've written about your Firewire backup HD. Do keep some kind of backup
with each T-Pad? I too bought a child a T-Pad and we're trying to work out
a scheme for him. (My simple solution is a ghost image (Acronis) every
three/six months, plus, of course, daily data backups to ZIPS or CD-RW's.)

michael.norman@xxxxxxxx