Re: Frustrated

Reply to note from Harry Binswanger  Thu, 17 Oct
2002 21:20:49 -0400

> Re where to place the U2 helpkey:
>
> I'm kinda happy with the right alt. ...
>
> The right alt is #98-- and you have to remove the 98 from the
> key Definitons section, of course.

Actually, Harry, you don't have to choose between R-Alt as a shift
key and R-Alt as a Helpkey. You can use the same key for both.
Don't delete the definition from the KEYS= stanza; just assign the
key normally:

98=NOXHJM(,2,.,P,r,s,C,M,l,i,n,e,)

In combination with other keys, R-Alt will still work as a shift
key. Used alone, it will operate as a Helpkey. The difference is
that the Helpkey or other assigned function only takes effect when
R-Alt is *released*, not on the down press. This type of dual use
is possible with other shift keys as well.

(For obvious reasons, dual use is incompatible with "sticky" shift-
key definitions such as

ALT=56,98,S:@xxxxxxxxwhich allow the shift key to be released before the second key is
pressed.)

A few years back there was a lively discussion here about the
advisability of dual-use keys. As I recall, Robert was against it
on principle, arguing that it would lead to errors. Having employed
dual-use keys for years without incident, I saw (and see) it as a
matter of preference. If your fingers aren't comfortable with it,
don't do it. It is, however, an option.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx