(fwd) INFOWORLD Editor Calls WIN95 Flawed

Extracted from news wire story.......
Magazine Calls Windows 95 "Flawed" 03/27/95  SAN MATEO,
CALIFORNIA,

A weekly computer publication says it has found Windows 95,
Microsoft Corp.'s..... interface and operating system, "flawed"
to the point it will be of use only to home users.  According to
Nicholas Petreley.... its functionality is limited for business
use....... editor said the problem is that Windows 95 runs out
of system resources when running multi-threaded 32-bit
applications.
In an interview with Newsbytes Petreley called Windows 95 "a
disaster" if it ships in its current form. "I fear that unless
Microsoft goes back to the drawing board on this operating
system, only light home users will get anything out of it,"
...........according to the editor..... Windows 95 is a 32-bit
wraparound on top of Windows 3.1...... so Microsoft is running
into a lot of the limitations of Windows 3.1 due to the company's
desire to make Windows 95 backwards-compatible. "They managed to
move some of the information out of the (graphics) GDI heap into
the 32-bit address base but they haven't really done it
successfully with the user heap.......... the result of that
architecture is that when you place a folder-oriented
multi-threaded desktop on top of it and want to open a number of
different folders, you fill up that relatively small user heap
very rapidly. "I ran out of resources just running Microsoft Word
and the Microsoft
Network at the same time," he told Newsbytes. Petreley .... was
running Windows 95 on a Pentium-based PC with 32 megabytes (MB)
of memory. ..... Microsoft hand- delivered a fix ......that moved
the Windows class out of the user heap and into the
32-bit address space..... "But it breaks things left and right,
including 32-bit applications. Microsoft Network crashes and Word
for Windows crashes," he said.

--
Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx hseaver@xxxxxxxx
seaverh@xxxxxxxx harmon@xxxxxxxx

The fundamental delusion of humanity is that I am in here and you
are out there.