Re: XY4 in Win7-64

--- On Sun, 7/29/12, William H. TeBrake  wrote:

> Jordan,
>
> I recently moved to a Windows 7 machine (64 bit) but still
> needed to be able to run NotaBene 9 from time to time.
> NotaBene 10 runs beautifully on the 64 bit machine, but
> because it is still in Beta with some of its functions not
> fully implemented, I simply loaded a complete iteration of
> Windows XP within the free VMWare Player. It works like a
> charm: accesses all devices (network, CD/DVD drive, scanner,
> printer, and more) of the Windows 7 machine; allows drag and
> drop between the Windows 7 host and the Windows XP client.
> And, with Dropbox installed on both host and client, syncing
> between the two is dead easy. I have yet to find a problem
> with this scenario. Because my new machine has 8 gigs of
> ram, there is plenty of room for more than one running at
> the same time. I have since added a full install of Linux
> (Ubuntu 12.04 LTE) to the VMWare player, and even with the
> host and two clients there is no noticeable slowing of any
> of them. By the way, those of you struggling with XYWrite
> under VirtualPC, you might want to try the VMWare Player
> instead: simply install a Windows 3.1 or 95 or 98 client. It
> costs nothing (you don't need their paid-for VMWare
> Workstation at all); it is simple to remove if you don't
> like it; it has a large community of people who offer help
> and assistance. Just make sure you install the VMWare Tools
> for your specific client.
>
> Best regards,
>
> William TeBrake
> UMaine History, Emeritus

Hi William,

What level of CPU horsepower does this for you, with no discernible
performance penalty ? At the moment, I don't have anything here
that is faster than a good old dual core, the Q9500 perhaps being
the most powerful of the lot. It might accommodate 8 Gig. of RAM --
I'd have to check. Some of the other systems max out at 4, even
if they happen to be 64 bit-OS capable. (I'm not really
looking to upgrade the hardware anytime soon.)

Good to know there are these other options: VMWare or DOSbox.

 Jordan