FW: Re: For Kenny Frank Re: TO Robert Holmgren To:

On Sat, 10 Jun 1995 15:21:34 -0400 (EDT) James D. Besser wrote:
>My two cents:
>
>All this talk about the future of XyWrite seems to be aimed at a
>very small group of power users with very specific requirements.
>
> . . . The fact is, however, that XyWrite's primary audience in
>the past were serious writers and journalists who appreciated
the >program's flexibility, but who probably didn't know REXX
from a >hole in the ground. If TTG puts its resources into
writing >software for those of you who really care about REXX,
they'll be >playing to a diminishing audience.

I have to agree with James. As a former editor for an
international technical journal, I used XyWrite because it was
fast, consumed few system resources, and had excellent tech
support. I never cared about the underlying technology, just as
long as I could get my work completed before the deadline.

I now work in the advanced technology group for a large insurance
company. I use XW 4.12 today because it allows me to work in a
Windows environment and still use the command line. I use XW to
create technology reports for executive strategic planning
purposes. But, the unfixed bugs in the software and the lack of
technical support will eventually force me to select another
program.

My office machine has Ami Pro, WORD, and WP because our company
can not expect that all 14,000 employees will be happy with one
standard package so all are made available. I am the only XW user
in the building because few have ever heard of it in Texas.

I still don't care about the underlying technology used in XW or
any word/document processing program. I just want to produce
visually interesting documents quickly and not have to struggle
with a program that takes me out of graphics mode after I
complete spell checking, cuts off lines at the top/bottoms of
almost every page (instead of displaying complete lines), and has
no technical support (e.g., calls not returned for a week).

I have been using XW 4.11 in WinOS2 (OS2's version of Windows)
and Windows at home for about two years now. I will be converting
this week to Win95 because I like it better (after two years of
beating my head against poor device drivers in OS2, I refuse to
use the latest OS2-Warp).

It has taken TTG all this time to get XW to work imperfectly in a
Windows (and WinOS2) environment. Will I have to struggle for two
more years through new glitches in Win95? All I want to do is to
use the program to make my life easier, not worry about what is
"under the hood" to make it work better.
Mike Gawdun
Date: 06/11/95
Time: 10:14:12