re: slow printing problem with Win95, XY4Dos and Panasonic 1124

" I don't know if this is a Xy/Dos problem or a Win95
" problem, but here it is.
"
" I recent gave my ink jet to my daughter, who needs
" (or says she needs) color. All I ever print are
" drafts that go into the garbage after editing, so
" I bought a good used dot matrix, a Panasonic 1124.
"
" The problem: abysmally slow printing. Using a similar
" printer in my Dos days, I remember it being much faster.
" This thing prints about a page a minute.
"
" I'm using the correct Xy/Dos print driver.
"
	What's a page? 25 lines double spaced?

	Using the built-in fonts or downloaded pretty
	fonts for Windows?

	Does the Windows side need a larger buffer.

	There was the problem in OS/2, which Win95 is not,
	of IRQ being implemented for each line, very slow.

	Is there something like that in Win95?  I've not
	printed from Win95 except to a file which seems
	quick.

	The Raven/Panasonic 1124 is a 24 pin printer. What
	if it emulates a 9-pin? or a Proprinter?

	It used to have 8 kilobytes of memory in the printer
	which is enough for about (80 chars x 25 lines = 2000 bytes)
	3 and a bit pages of straight text using the
	built-in character set.
	Did someone take out the memory?
" Printing is also very slow using Win95 software like
" Word97.
"
" One other oddity: after I print one document, the
" second document will begin with several characters I didn't
" insert--something lie @TR--and the paging will be off for
" the rest of the document. If I turn off the printer and
" start it up again, it returns to normal.
"
" Am I having a XyWrite problem, a mechanical problem, a
" Win95 problem or all of the above?
"