Re: Off-Topic -- Apparently intractable problem FIXED!

  A list member magically fixed this problem for me over the phone by
having me kill Normal.dot, the Word Templates folder. It had ballooned to
199KB by greedily absorbing the templates of every Word document ever sent to
me, and was too fat to open Word anymore.
"computer guru" I earlier consulted was a professional computer tech, or
"the cyberworld's equivalent of your Uncle Max, who told Cousin Amanda there
was no reason for her family to hire a professional photographer for her
wedding, and that he could do it for free. And you know how _those_ pix
turned out."
  He was a professional and he didn't solve my problem. The list is my
equivalent of Uncle Max -- and in this case, Uncle Max is batting a thousand.
(Yes, yes, I know many of you are computer professionals, but to me, you're
Uncle Max.)
  Many thanks!!
  Lynn Brenner

That was done by the person I consulted.

 Lynn Brenner
 (718) 855 2179