XPL in Xy4

Chet Gottfried:

1. "The u.doc ... mentions U1 to U4. How did you find out about U5 to
U9?" Somewhere on the TTG BBS there was a message from Sysop (it
may have been a private message that I got second-hand) that
listed TTG's suggested division of labor for the various U# Help
files. I reproduce the list below, FWIW. Flavors beyond U4 have
not been generally implemented (some files are special-purpose,
e.g., U5 and U6) but I believe the structure is in place --
though I'm sure TTG would say that everything is tentative and
subject to change at any time. Be that as it may, I take this
list as encouraging evidence that Ken Frank & Co. really are
planning a future for Xy.

U1 - Reserved for user's routines (file conversion routines in XyWin)
U2 - Command override file
U3 - Buttons and format bar
U4 - Reserved for Ibid.
U5 - Reserved for General Counsel
U6 - Reserved for General Counsel
U7 - (open)
U8 - (open)
U9 - (open)

2. "Any talk from TTG of commissioning a piece from you on XPL in
4?" Heavens no! From time to time I've considered including an
XPL primer in SmartSet -- minimal text, mainly a set of more or
less self- explanatory code examples that can be studied and
executed right off the screen via RUNCODE. But ..... Ars longa,
vita brevis!

3. "My own XPLs (which cover different ground than yours and
which shows what a wide open field XPL is) ...". "XPL is
amazingly flexible." Yes, the amazing flexibility and SPEED of
XPL are among XyWrite's strongest features. And you don't need to be a
programmer, either. A little bit of XPL goes a long way!

Carl Distefano
70154.3452@xxxxxxxx