Re: XYIII Programs

At 08:43 AM 2/24/00 EST, Tim Baehr wrote:
>I've visited the TTG site and was unable to find any trace of the XyPower
programs I wrote for III+. Sometime in the next couple of days I'll post the
catalog. The entire collection, zipped, is about 100K (not *that* much xpl;
there's a lot of documentation). I don't want to subject the whole list to a
100K download. If anyone's really interested, we can work out some way of
getting the stuff to you.

>(Note to TTG: I don't want to run afoul of you guys, especially the
considerable potential animus of Kenny. If you guys have the XyPower program
collection somewhere and want to tell us how to get it, I'll lay off. Absent
hearing from you that you've made the collection available, I'll be making
it available soon myself, gratis to all comers.)

>Tim Baehr
>tbaehr@xxxxxxxx

Back on this copyright thingy again...

I am not aware of the nature of the programs you mention, nor of the
way that they were distributed. However, if you wrote the originals,
then copyright was yours -- whether or not you registered, made it explicit,
etc.

If TTG paid you while you were writing them (i.e. if you wrote them FOR
the Technology group and under salary or prearranged payment) then they
belong to them.

If you, on the other hand, simply provided them to TTG, and they proceeded
to distribute them whether on their website or not, then they are either
still yours, or in the public domain (depending on WHEN they were
distributed. Copyright law changed in 1989)

Simply because TTG (or anyone else) publsihed them, does not give them
control of the copyright UNLESS you EXPLICITLY ASSIGNED IT or SOLD it to
them.

Your post above seems reasonably to me, and I see no reason why TTG would not
either make them available or let you distribute them.

(BTW -- I wouldn't mind a copy.)

-pjd

(P.S. by "animus" above, did you mean "animosity"??)