Re: OT: standalone defrag for W98 ?

Jordan,

There's nothing wrong with the W98 defrag. I ran it all the time when I
was on W98. The problem is you have to shut down all programs. What's
happening is that every once in a while some program that's running is
trying to do something, and that means the defragger has to start all over
again.

Call up your task manager, and shut down everything but explorer. Then run
defrag.

"J. R. Fox" wrote:

> There are a number of places where I could inquire about this, but
> since many of you use W98, I thought 'Why not take a shot here ?' I
> was recently called upon to do some maintenance on my nephew's
> computer, which is running W98. One of the things it needed was a
> good defrag run -- or two. The built-in utility for this does not
> work: left to run for a couple hours, the process keeps bouncing
> between 0 % and 1 % complete, and that's as far as it gets. Anyone
> have a recommendation for a good, portable, standalone util. that can
> be run _from outside_, probably from an ERD bootup ? (That means
> Command Line, rather than GUI-based.) It should be appropriate for
> W98, with an emphasis on safety and reliability. (I recall the
> controversy over a past version or two of Norton SpeedDisk that
> fatally scrambled what it was supposed to be defragmenting.) I have
> used DiskKeeper on NT-4 and W2K (a "lite" version is the built-in
> defragger for W2K, though not so identified) with good results, but it
> has to be installed first and so is not external or portable.
>
> Jordan

lb136@xxxxxxxx
61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023
212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)