Re: The first xy

Bill Troop wrote:

> >Floppies that have been sitting around since the days of XyWrite I are
> >probably unreadable now, even if you have the 5.25" drive. I recently had
> >to toss a number of 3.5" floppies that were created about 10 years ago;
> >none of them were readable after trying on several machines.
>
> I disagree. Although 3.5" floppies often go bad (after a few weeks!), 5.25"
> floppies are much more reliable, and 8" floppies more reliable still.

Hmm, interesting. Remember those 750mg 3.5" floppies? I would sometimes
accidentally dig one out of my "disks to be recycled" box, stick it in a modern
1.44mg drive to reformat it, and danged if the new 1.44mg drive would do just
that--as a 1.44mg disk! And, yeah, they'd last a few weeks and then blooey.
After the third time that happened, I went through the entire recycle box and
_threw out_ all the 750 mg disks.

lb136@xxxxxxxx
61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023
212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)