Re: ntfs, fat32, partitioning

Flash wrote:
All sound advice. To which I might add: put your OS on one partition,
your apps on another, your data and the I386 folder on another
partition. This way, if the OS crashes and burns, you can restore it
with the image you made previously and not have to re-install all your
apps or lose any data. That's the whole point of the partitioning
exercise. This of course requires that you update your OS image every
time you install a new app (otherwise your restored registry does not
match the apps partition). This is time consuming to set up, but,
believe me, you'll thank your stars next time you have a crash-and-burn.
The I386 folder contains all the drivers Windows occasionally asks for;
keep it on the local HD so you don't have to find the original CD.
It would be wonderful if you'd write out a step-by-step procedure for doing
all this, so I (and others) could implement it on my new system when I get it.

But maybe that would take too much effort--please don't feel obligated.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx