Re: Answer Found Re: How get Xy to use network printer

Paul Lagasse wrote:
Interestingly, "net view \\office," issued from the same computer that can't make a go of "net use," shows the (now two) printers:

":\Documents and Settings\Paul>net view \\office
Shared resources at \\office

Share name Type  Used as Comment

CLP-510   Print CLP-510
CLP-510a  Print CLP-510a
SharedDocs Disk
The command completed with one or more errors."
The last line is interesting, but I don't know how to find out what the errors are, or if they matter.
What is \\office doing in the net view command? Is office the
name of the workgroup or of the PC? It's the PC's name you want,
though if you change the workgroup name, you'll have to reboot
before you can do anything else with Net.

Try this:
1. Go to Start->Settings->Printers and faxes. Right-click on the printer, open the sharing tab, and write down the name that follows "Shared as". I like to keep share names at 8 characters or under, with no spaces, but that's probably not necessary. Saves worrying about having to use quotation marks at a DOS prompt, though, which my use of the US International Keyboard sometimes interferes with. 2. Now go to Start->Settings->Control Panel->System. Open the Computer name tab and write down the name. NOT the Description; the Name field is not editable unless you click change.
3. Now open a DOS prompt and type
net use lpt2 \\ComputerName\printername
Where computername is what you found in 2 above, and Printername is what you found in 1.
I would not go above lpt2 unless you actually HAVE 2 physical LPT
ports. Most modern PCs don't have more than one, and many don't
have that physically, though I notice my USB-only Vista laptop
has 2 lpt ports and 3 or 4 com ports listed in its system
analysis page.
I just did this in XP at home. The printer I was sharing is a
recent Epson, so it doesn't speak any language Xy or even DOS
knows, so it cannot print. But it was definitely getting a data
stream--made all sorts of noises, just didn't know how to
interpret what it was getting (I was using mail.prn nad printing
a batchfile with no formatting).

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx