Subject:  Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: insufficient memory msg
Date:    6/17/98 4:54 PM

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Wed, 17 Jun 98 16:11:16 -0500

> Here's the way it works for me. The Properties Program box in Windows
> 95 will accept the addition of /e4000, as in C:xy4\editor /e4000.exe,
> but the next time you pull up Properties Program the /e4000 is gone.
> The way to get the 4 megs of expanded memory is to go to the Properties
> Memory box and change the number to 4096. Then, be sure to click on
> Apply and then OK. I initially failed to check Apply and the change
> didn't take, but it does now. And, at Carl's suggestion, you can check
> this by having XyWrite 4 running, then going to the DOS prompt and
> typing mem/c. Now all I havr to do is figure out why I need the extra
> memory.

Jim, you're not reading carefully. I'll repeat: you are simply enabling
4Mb of EMS. The operating system is making it available, because you
went into Properties and made it available. But XyWrite is NOT using it
UNTIL you issue the "/e4000" argument when you launch XyWrite! In other
words, XyWrite does not know that you've made it available, or rather,
has not been told to use it.

Of course the "/e4000.exe" disappears: there is no such
program, and it makes no sense. The ".exe" extension is part of
EDITOR.EXE, not "/e4000.exe". The proper spec is:

C:\XY4\EDITOR.EXE /e4000

It works perfectly here.

As to why you're using EMS, I haven't a clue. For the speller perhaps?

---------
Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx
---------