Re: running xy 3+ under windows xp - aarrgghhh!

** Reply to message from "Adel Darwish"  on Sun,
22 Jun 2003 17:56:25 +0100

Now, there, you see? Your STARTUP doesn't say "BC cur=118";
it says "BC default cr=118" (as suspected).

P.S. I've actually been reading your stuff for years, Adel. The Halabja
pieces stand out in recent memory. That phrase about Hussein being "our SOB"
is surely a conscious echo of LBJ's famous comment about Nicaragua's Samoza:
"He may be a bastard, but he's our bastard" (a comment promiscuously attributed
to FDR, Truman, and Churchill; and erroneously targeted at Ngo Dinh Diem and
Marcos -- hell, I've even overheard my wife say it to our kids!). I have some
great photos of Don Rumsfeld cozening Saddam at an airshow in the 80s, arm in
arm, pointing up at the vapor trails of those mag-ni-fi-cent American war
planes Rumsfeld was trying to sell Iraq... all impish conspiratorial smiles,
dreaming no doubt of the crops and the Kurds they could dust. What a bunch.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx