Re: Why I find Windows 95's "DOS" unsatisfactory.

At 02:32 AM 5/25/00 +1000, Michael Edwards wrote:

>pathetic substitute.) (Some of the Norton utilities freeze the computer; XTree
>Gold will work, but Windows issues warning messages that put me off and make me
>feel it would be dangerous to go ahead.)

Actually, I think you should not use these sort of old disk utilities on your Windows machine, even
if you had a double-boot system, because they interfere with the way Windows manages files.
As for Xtree (which I love, too), there is a Windows version of it around. Make an internet search
for "Ztreewin", and you'll find it.

>>In my case, when I move to a new Windoze computer, the first thing I do is open
>the file
>>"MSDOS.SYS" in the root directory and set the line "BootGui=0".
>
>   Well, thanks for the hint. Perhaps I should experiment with that - but
>that would be just like booting up in DOS mode, wouldn't it?

No, a little bit different, I think. If you do as I say, Windows (which, after all is only an
elaborate DOS shell) is simply not there yet, so you have pure DOS. It is different from re-loading
DOS inside Windows.

>   I haven't made the alteration to MsDos.sys you mentioned (I don't like
>messing around with system files unless I feel totally sure of what I'm doing) -

This particular alteration is completely harmless. You simply change a switch from 1 to 0. All it
does is stop Windows from being loaded automatically without your approval.

-- Rene von Rentzell, Tokyo