Re: Wikipedia entry on XyWrite

--- Harry Binswanger  wrote:

> I just looked up the Wikipedia entry on XyWrite. I
> think it could use some
> work. I edited a few things, under the heading
> "Features," but more
> editorial contributions by us would be useful.
>
> One thing that should be added right at the top is
> the "parent" mainframe
> program Xy is based on. Just now, I forget its name.
>
> Anybody can edit the Wikipedia entry. Just hit the
> Edit tab.

A plus as well as a minus.

I commented on that entry on this list, a year or two
ago, as the entry stood at that time. In particular,
I mentioned a sour and pejorative adjective used to
describe XPL. At the time, I think Robert had a good
guess as to who was responsible for that. I'll go
back to see how it reads now, following your
adjustments.

A problem with Wikipedia is that you can get opinions
masquerading as fact. Fact checking and peer review
is hardly a given. There have even been cases of
outright lies, slander, personal vendetta -- some of
which at least raised the threat of legal action.

I think they have some mechanism for indicating
article sections that are subject to dispute, but I
don't know how their "self-correcting" process works,
beyond the sort of thing Harry just did.

 Jordan