Re: Mnemonic MoDe for 'small' text

Thanks, Wengier. I think VDLUPD is working well now, so that's the right
solution. I don't see any effect of the "n" when I comment out my special
colors. The background is then blue regardless of the n in WP=XY,n. But I
doubt this is worth your time.

Regards,
Harry

Hi Harry, There are currently two uses for the n value in WP=XY,n. The most obvious one is to assume the background color of XyWrite (default is blue). If you work with the default color settings of Xy4, then you should find this use out soon. The second use is to define the color for small text. When both the foreground and background colors of some text is n, then it is considered to be small text by vDos-lfn. But again, this will be more obvious with the default Xy4 color settings. Regarding direct EXE download -- Currently I am maintaining both the 2015.11.01 and the 2016.06.01 branches of vDos-lfn, so each time when I update some code, I need to upload a lot of files, including the online installers, offline installers, the portable versions, and the source code of both branches of vDos-lfn. If I also add direct EXE downloads, then it means I have to upload even more files each time I update some code. That is why I am reluctant to do so. On the other hand, I think you can make download of the latest vDos-lfn build very easy by using U2's VDLUPD frame, which is specifically designed for this purpose and will automate the update process for you. Why not use VDLUPD instead to update vDos-lfn to the latest build automatically? Wengier On Sunday, August 7, 2016 10:21 PM, Harry Binswanger wrote: Wengier, I tried lots of values for n in WP=Xy,n but none worked except 1. In fact, I could see no effect other than whether the small text was visible or not, and it was visible only in 1. What is the intent of the n value? You said it is to set the background, but of what? I can't see it changing any background no matter what the value of n. Re picking up vDos-lfn.exe: I know about the zip file, but I was looking for a direct .exe download. I guess some systems don't accept .exe file downloads, so you don't make that available. Having access to that would save me, if not others, about 8 (minor) steps, though. But again, problem solved (by accident), and the results are shown here: http://www.hblist.com/p/vdos_screen_shot.jpg Regards, Harry >Harry, > >The URL for the zip file containing the 2015.11.01 branch of vDos-lfn is >the following: > http://individual.utoronto.ca/wengier/old/vdos-lfn-201511.ziphttp://in dividual.utoronto.ca/wengier/old/vdos-lfn-201511.zip>http://individual.utoronto.ca/wengier/old/vdos-lfn-201511.zip > >And no, there are certainly more than two possible settings for the second >parameter of the WP directive. For example, WP=XY,5 or WP=XY,6 should work >too (you should be able to see the small text from the color table). Hope >this helps. > >Wengier > > mailto:hb@xxxxxxxxhb@xxxxxxxx> wrote: > > >Wengier, > >1. Re version-checking, your text gives a URL to where I can get just >vdos-lfn.exe, but it downloads, instead, the setup.exe. Can you tell me >again the URL for picking up vdos-lfn.exe? > >2. Finally got the small font to work! I don't understand how though. >Smallclr sets the foreground, but somehow the only setting for WP that will >make it visible is WP=XY,1. Are there only two possible settings for WP--1 >and 0? > >Anyway, I got the exact thing I wanted, so thank you. > >Regards, >Harry > > > > > > >Hi Harry, > > > >If you use "WP=XY,0" (rather than "WP=XY,1" or so) in the config file then > >you might not see small text in the color table. This seems to be a > >limitation of that color table; however, when you follow the instruction > >mentioned by Carl, then small text will show up properly in the editor. I > >tried it myself and it surely works. Hope it works for you too. > > > >Wengier > > > > > >On Sunday, August 7, 2016 9:47 AM, Harry Binswanger > mailto:hb@xxxxxxxxhb@xxxxxxxx> wrote: > > > > > >Wengier, > > > >I'm not seeing the small font after just updating with VDLUPD and seeing a > >vDos-lfn.exe dated 8/06/2016 at 10:49pm. > > > >And when I get it working, will I be able to control the foreground/background color of the small text? (I'm looking for a small but > >light color to use for comments, to make the visible but unobtrusive, like a light grey on a white background (I use white background for everything). > > > >Regards, > >Harry > > > > >Hi Carl, > > > > > >I did make attempt to display strikethru text visually in XyWrite when I > > >first added support for italic text in vDos-lfn. However, I dropped this >idea when I found that the default color used for such text is the same as >the default color for selected menu items in Xy4, so if I do this then the >menu items will look bad. Since strikethru text is probably not used very > > >often, I think maybe we can ignore this for now unless there is a very > > >good solution for this. I believe most of the styled text can already be > > >displayed visually in vDos-lfn by now. > > > > > >Wengier > > > > > > > > >On Saturday, August 6, 2016 7:20 PM, Carl Distefano > > mailto:cld@xxxxxxxxcld@xxxxxxxx> wrote: > > > > > > > > >So ... it's easy to create a mnemonic MoDe for "small" text. Just > > >assign MoDe 0 to the named mode of your choice. I chose MoDe FL, which > > >stands for FLashing, but could also stand for FLattened; in > > >SETTINGS.DFL (or another printer file): > > > > > >MD FL=0 > > > > > >Then your eXPanded view for small text would look like this: > > > > > >This is small text. > > > > > >Here's a screenshot (using the LiberationMono font family, which is > > >actually very nice): > > > >≪http://users.datarealm.com/ammaze/xy/flsmall.pnghttp://users.dat arealm.com/ammaze/xy/flsmall.png>http://users.datare alm.com/ammaze/xy/flsmall.png>http://users.datarealm/http://users.datarealm > > .com/ammaze/xy/flsmall.png>http://users.datarealm.com/ammaze/xy/flsmall.pnghttp://users.datarealm.com/ammaze/xy/flsmall.png > > > > > >Now, here's a thing: XyWrite also has MoDe SO, for strikeout (a/k/a > > >strike-over or strike-through). This is used for printing, but is there > > >also a possibility to add a visual strikeout for the vDos-lfn screen? > > > > > > > > >Wengier? > > > > > > > > >-- > > >Carl Distefano > > >mailto:cld@xxxxxxxxmailto:cld@xxxxxxxxcl > mailto:d@xxxxxxxxd@xxxxxxxx > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >