Sent: Friday, October 19, 2007 3:45 PM
Subject: Re: Re Xy on XP--an amende honorable
Robert Holmgren wrote:
** Reply to message from Michael Norman
on Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:57:29 -0400
I thought one way to help protect the health of your hard drive was to shut down at night.

The opposite! The most stressful task a computer performs,
apart from backing up, is booting up. Plus that power-on surge
of electricity takes a toll. Ask yourself: when have your
computers failed most frequently? When you rebooted, right? So
don't! And I don't hibernate either -- a total PITA (logging
back on, waste of time).
...leave your car running too! It's such a waste of time to start it and
wait until it warms up. If left running just jump in and bam, you're off.
After all, starting a cold car puts more stress on it than anything else.
Moreover, most car failures occur when you try to start them.
Oh! And leave on your lights, oven, blender, vacuum cleaner, microwave
(set the timer really really high), dryer, washing machine, furnace, all
power tools, tv, radio, heating pad, toilet (just take out the stopper),
etc. That way they'll all be primed and ready to go when you need them.

:-)
It's ok to turn off your computer off when done using it. It's designed that way. That's why it has an off switch--duh! To prevent data loss, shut the operating system down properly and completely before you hit the switch. Most adverse effects of turning off a computer are figments of the owner's imagination. Turning off your computer when not in use will make it last longer and save energy. If you're a liberal, that means reducing your carbon footprint. If you're a conservative, that means saving money.
So enough already of this nonsense of leaving your computer on because it
will harm it if you turn it off!

LA