Re: NB 8 (Trial version)

On 7 May 2006 at 17:47, Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:

> Good grief! Quelle horreur! Ach, du lieber Himmel! Talk about shooting
> oneself in the foot. And if they cannot get languages using accented,
> but still standard roman-alphabet, characters right, what sort of
> mice-feet have they made of Greek, I wonder? I seem to recall that NB
> was originally designed to help someone do his thesis in NT
> studies--where one had jolly well better be citing Greek.

Aw, come on! Why not cut Steve and company a little slack. Anyone
even remotely familiar with NB will know that it does get languages
right. It's the dictionaries abandoned by IBM that do not.
Eventually, NB probably will have to find other sources for
dictionaries or write their own (they did, after all, finally write
their own very robust rtf converter because no existing ones were up
to the task). In the meanwhile, NotaBene users just handle their
spelling the old-fashioned way. Indeed, I often wish there were no
electronic spellers at all. Few of my university students can spell
these days, and they rarely consider proofreading. So forget about
those silly spell checkers and instead check out the latest demo of
NB for yourself. See if you don't agree with our own Robert
Holmgren, that for many of us NB 8 really is a worthy successor to
Xywrite 4, even though it has gone over to the dark side (i.e.,
Windows).

Best regards,

Bill TeBrake