Re: USB printer and OED

What about ver. 2.x ? What is the preferred version,
I guess OED 2 (the first CD of OED2) with software of a particular version
that Carl knows about. (That's v. 1.10 of the software, rather than the
latest, which I think is 1.14, the advantage of which is that you can still
run it directly off your hard drive without some sort of fakeCD app, if you
wish.) Or I would think if one could get a subscription to the online
version, which is the most up-to-date. But I have been doing some reading
for them and have hinted ... and have not got anywhere yet. If you know a
NY State employee, they all, unbeknownst, have access to it through the NY
State library in Albany ...
and is it still obtainable
anywhere
at this late date ?
Just whistle, I imagine. And if you feel bad about that, you can always
send the OED3 project a couple of hundred dollars. It would be tiresome, to
say the least, to make explanations, however!
Carl & Robert: can you two combine your knowledge and add a faq to your
XyWrite site on making OED 2 work with NT, XP, etc.? There is nothing on
the net, and OUP is no help. The info required to get this wretched thing
running is desperately needed, and I cannot say I approve of OUP's
attitude, which is that you simply must upgrade. They should have fixed the
wretched thing, or at least offered the workaround we have all laboriously
found through stubbornness. Obviously, they want and need more income from
the project, but their marketing has been disastrous from the start. What
missed opportunities, over so many years!
Speaking of reading for OED3, has anyone got any really good citations for
doofus and doofusy? I would prefer something reasonably classy, say from
the New Yorker, or the Atlantic -- something along those lines, but
anything would be appreciated.