Re: Netscape, XyWrite, and the Media

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leslie Bialler"
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2000 10:55 AM
Subject: Re: Netscape, XyWrite, and the Media

> Setting ideologies, coins, and definitions aside for the moment: It will
be
> interesting to listen to the words of those who inveigh against Gates and
> his world if they are suddenly forced to purchase computers where one mfg.
> makes the op. sys, another the software suite, and a third the Internet
> makings. At least I shall have the satisfaction, if not downright fun, of
> hearing you say, "I told you so."

Something like having MS Windows, Netscape, and Corel Office (plus, of
course, XyWrite)  on a current PC?  I think folks would survive.

And something like this may be a pressing reality in a couple of years.
Right
now, Linux and a variety of other Unices seem ready to run on Intel's new
64-bit chip, and MS doesn't have a version of Windows which will. If you're
given the option of buying two PC's, (a) 64-bitter with Linux in native
mode, Mozilla, Corel Office and Star Office and SIAG office for applications
and
Emacs and DOS-EMU for running XyWrite and (b) a 64-bitter running in a
crippled 32-bit mode with Win NT 6 let's say and other MS applications,
which is going to like a better buy?  We're not talking about a distant
future.