Re: Seamless XyWrite/Win7-64/XP mode

If I understand what we're all talking about, "seamless" is pretty much cosmetic. A shortcut to XY on the Win7 desktop or start menu (automagically "published" to the Win7 start menu out of virtual XP's /Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu) opens the XP Mode virtual machine, which then opens XY (for me and Harry, via TAME) in a window. It just doesn't show the underlying (and yes, virtual) XP desktop, and saves a few clicks.

Kari Eveli, glad you could make Virtual PC 2007 work. I followed Mendelson's instructions to the
letter but communications between the Win7 host and VPC 2007 were pretty slow. I tried both DOS 6.1
and Win98 under VPC 2007.

Bill, it has to be paths. My files are written into the same directory that holds editor.exe--if you
have a different setup, no doubt you can keep it with some sorting out.

Does your STARTUP.INT change to a different working directory, perhaps one that's not a folder in
virtual XP?

 I am now writing in virtual XP's C:\XY and have a key mapped to save the file into my XY folder on
the Win7 host.

I had wanted to save the file directly into Win7 while writing, but this attempted line in
STARTUP.INT didn't work for me, probably just from some dopey error in syntax. (Yes, those are the
function calls BX and Q2.) It would stop XY from loading, so don't try this at home.

 BX CD \\TSCLIENT\C\XY Q2

Instead with this key assignment in my .kbd file, for CTRL-C, I save the file in Win7 once it's
written.

46=BC,s,a, ,\,\,t,s,c,l,i,e,n,t,\,c,\,x,y,XC

I do agree that it is wildly, Micro$oftly roundabout and absurd to install 450 MB of XP mode to run
our tiny beloved DOS relic--but hey, it works.

Jon Pareles

> While in Win 7, you could run Virtual PC 2007 and achieve
> better compatibility by running DOS (and Windows 3.1):
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2009/08/19/running-virtual-pc-2007-on-windows-7.aspx
>
> It is no big feat to achieve automated startup of DOS
> applications within this scenario. You could have a link on
> your desktop that starts Virtual PC with the right
> application. I use this kind of setup:
> 1) a link to MS Virtual PC executable (Microsoft Virtual
> PC.lnk)
> 2) a command that starts the virtual machine (DOS.vmc)
> without showing Virtual PC console:
> "path\Microsoft Virtual PC.lnk" -pc DOS -singlepc -launch
> (I use Tray command line to execute a "d" command (the above
> command), that is all, folks!)
> 3) autoexec.bat customization (could start Win 3.1 which in
> turn could start a XY.PIF in win.ini [windows] run= section
> or Xy directly from the DOS prompt).
> This is fast and effortless, if not seamless. Folder sharing
> works ok. The setup is stable.
>
> After all, the Integrated Mode in Windows Virtual PC is just
> a new name for "XP additions" for a version of integrated
> Virtual PC technology in Win 7. See:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2009/06/17/what-is-integrated-mode-in-windows-virtual-pc.aspx
>
> See also "Three Modes of Windows XP Mode" (a tech summary):
> http://blogs.technet.com/b/windows_vpc/archive/2009/08/27/three-modes-of-windows-xp-mode.aspx
>
> Best regards,
> Kari Eveli
> LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
> lexitec@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 18:26:25 +0000
> From: Bill Troop
> Subject: Re: Seamless XyWrite/Win7-64/XP mode
>
> Hi Jon, many thanks for this - - it worked ! However, I'm
> now having
> trouble accessing the 'G:' drive (\\tsclient\c)  - - or
> alternatively, tsclient\c. Any ideas?

from J R FOX: