Re: Finding W2K was Re: La Machine Est Morte, Vive La Machine!

I have been helping out a couple users who are clinging to XP for the time being, trying to keep older and failing desktop rigs going for just a few months more, at which point they intend to switch over to new Mac rigs.  (I'm hoping their hardware does not give out before that happens, or this will really be a mess.)  Anyway, XP was capped at IE version 8: that's the end of the line.  They are regularly getting error messages to the effect that IE is unsafe, unsupported, out of date, or cannot handle certain sites or do various things.  (Much of which involves Adobe Flash or embedded video.)  My workaround has been to push them to use FireFox for this instead, but it's an uphill battle.  I would just point out that if you are stuck at IE 6 for W2K, such problems would be even worse.  But in reality, given the security aspects, one should probably not be allowing W2K (virtual or otherwise) to access the internet **at all.**  Instructions for arranging that in one's VM of choice should be in hand at time of setup, to avoid serious problems later.

   Jordan

From: Kari Eveli
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2014 8:29 AM
Subject: Re: Finding W2K was Re: La Machine Est Morte, Vive La Machine!

Regarding W2K installation:

To be on the safe side and for best results, use a W2K CD or an
equivalent ISO and patch it with the following:

Here are the service packs and IE for W2K (I am quoting a previous post
by myself on this list):

There are four service packs and one "Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000
SP4 (KB891861)". The latter is needed for installing VMware tools
(guest-host integration). All can be downloaded from MS.

Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Network Install for IT Professionals
(contains all 4 SPs):
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4127

Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 (needed for using VMware tools):
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=18997

Latest MS browser for W2K is a must:
Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 6 SP1 (KB916281)
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6624

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)