Re: Translating XyWin to Word or WordStar

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Tue, 16 Jun 1998 09:02:09 +0900 (JST)
> Data disk s and tapes w ere scatter ed under and across the s everal
> tabl es, and a mor tally wound ed CD-ROM wa s pinned und er the
> caste r of one of th e chairs. As sorted firs t-generati on computer
> components and test gea r formed pre carious mou nds of metal and
> plastic in the corne rs. There wa s a jumble of cables on th e seat
> of Hor ton's chair , and a saggi ng, badly ov erloaded sh elf of

> Interesting -- I haver never seen this sort of thing in my converted
> files. Did you read Tom Roche's message? I think he is spot on -- this
> definitely walks and quacks like misunderstood soft hyphens.

Unless of course it's a lousy translation of inter-character spacing. I
mean, it seems unlikely that the author would insert soft hyphens all
over the place, since that's really his typesetter's problem, but maybe
he did. Still, this looks to me like the reaction of the *translation
program* to one of three Xy4 settings:

whole-space justification vs. microjustification;
a subtle interaction between the space factor and space constant;
a problem with default O1 (letterO-one) (try setting O1=0 instead of 1,
 which is the default I think -- again I'm on a plane but I think
 all of these issues are treated extensively in the Customization Guide,
 have a look!

---------
Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx