Re: TAME Pre6

Michael wrote:
In Tame Pre6, if the repeat rate on the key is slow, add the following as the last lines of Xywrite.app.tam:

/KeyGroupDef GroupName = Custom1
   RepeatChannel=BIOS RepeatRate=25
   IncludeScan=#53   ;** DEl
Thanks, that works nicely (as long as same function, RC, is assigned to
both keys 83 and 95).

RepeatRate of 25 was too fast on my system, but 15 is beautful.
Explaining the problem of repeat rates in XY, David Thomas writes:

"The problem is XY treats keys differently if set at defaults,
and we can accelerate only those at the default, and for cursor key pad keys
the numpad equivalent key must also match. If we try to accelerate
otherwise, the wrong thing happens. So, for compatibility, we accelerate
only those keys where fast repeat is needed. The del key was not seen that
way - you can always mark/del, and the del key may be reprogrammed de the
numpad."
Some of this needs explaining, but I don't want to interpolate what I don't fully understand -- especially that last sentence.
Since David Thomas uses "mark" for what we call "DeFining a block" I think
he means that you can speed things up by assigning, to the delete key:
DF,CR,DF,RD. I just tried that, and it is indeed just as speedy as RC.
Perhaps RC, at machine code level, reduces to something equivalent to
DF,CR,DF,RD.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx