Re: U2 not loaded

Reply to note from "J. R. Fox"  Wed, 14 Jul 2004
19:52:22 -0800

> does ADD2U2 offer any choice as to where the added frames get
> positioned ? I like to keep any additions | changes |
> experimental frames grouped in one discrete section that I can
> quickly find and return to.

Good question, Jordan. By default, it positions the added frame at
the Top of File, below the ;U2; identifier. However, the addition
of switch /BF to the framename (ADD2U2/BF) causes the added
frame to be inserted at Bottom of File (but ahead of the catch-all
frame {{5*}}, if it exists). So, a consistent use of ADD2U2, either
with or without the /BF switch, will produce a rational grouping of
newly-added frames.

To anticipate your next question: Top or Bottom of file is a matter
of personal choice. Each has plusses and minuses. Bottom is safer
in terms of preserving built-in U2 functionality; in the event of a
name clash (two frames with the same name), the existing frame is
executed and the recently-added one isn't. Reversing that order of
precedence (by grouping personal frames at Top of File) can
interfere with the functioning of U2, particularly if the duplicated
framename happens to be one that other U2 frames call as a
subroutine. We've dubbed these "common resources", and if you
inadvertently disable one of them, you'll have problems. That said,
most users will probably choose Top, for reasons of convenience.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx