Re: {Filename?} RE: Turning off read-only in XP

** Reply to message from "Patricia M. Godfrey"  on Wed, 26
Oct 2005 15:20:56 -0400

> Were I you, I'd tell that ISP that you absolutely must have a way of
> designating "trusted sources" from which you can recive attachments, no
> matter the type; or you will find yourself another ISP, forthwith and
> instanter.

They'll probably say "Go". The conservative ISPs are very rigid. They don't
bend. They think they know much more than you do (and generally speaking, they
do -- networking is very complex), and they're keeping their network clean for
users who know nothing. It's understandable. So "going" may be a good idea,
although there are trade-offs: hijacked identities, lots of junkmail & porn,
etc. But there are still many ISPs that simply don't care what you do, as long
as it isn't illegal. Ask plenty of questions first. Two of the most important
criteria are authenticated SMTP (sendmail) and getmail servers, so that you can
send & fetch mail via your ISP, using your own mail client instead of some dumb
browser interface, from anywhere in the world -- all you need is connectivity
(even via one of those ultra conservative ISPs). Another is an FTP server that
you can access from anywhere, i.e. if you're off the ISP's network. Static IP
addresses is an indication of a quality ISP. No throttling of bandwidth. No
blocked ISPs, and SPAM filters at their end that can be disabled. Ask about
their attitude if you run a server -- that's a very clear indicator of their
philosophy.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx