The thanks of a grateful returnee, plus a question about window creep

Thank you, thank you, and bless your collective hearts. Some months ago I
asked, with trepidation, whether I dared install my beloved Xy 4.11 (DOS)
on my new Win98 machine. You encouraged me, as did my colleague Fred (who
has told his tale here already). So I finally did it.

And it works great so far, and I'm desolated that I waited so long and even
wasted time futzing with WordPerfect. O joy, O speed, O backward deletes,
O flying case changes, O quick and painless spellchecking and thesaurus,
it's great to have you back again!

But there's a silly oddity. It's not a huge deal, and it's due, no doubt,
to my idiosyncratic setup, but suggestions for fixes would be gratefully
received.

When I open Xy in a maximized window, then switch to full screen with
Alt-Enter, then switch back (if, say, I want to use the clipboard), the
window has crept up the screen. If I do it again, it creeps further up.
And again, and more creeping. I haven't the nerve to try it, but the
trend certainly suggests that eventually the window would crawl entirely
off the top of the screen. This doesn't happen if I open the program in a
"normal" (i.e. teeny) window. Switching from full screen to "normal" and
back repeatedly is without incident.

This is a small nuisance because I have put a double-depth Win98 taskbar at
the top of the screen, not the bottom. This is partly Xy's doing; I am so
used to the position of the CM line that to me it's obvious that ALL
programs should stash that logistics stuff above rather than below. But
with the first switch back from full screen to maximized window, the Editor
window's toolbar (which is why I switched back) has disappeared under the
Win taskbar. And by the next switch the CM line is gone. And so on.

So open the program in a "normal" window, you say. And I may end up doing
that. But the "normal" window 's size makes it much harder to do what I
switched back to do, which is usually use the clipboard. In short, I
prefer the maximized window. I just would like to keep it from crawling up
the screen.

And anyway, the screen creep is kind of intriguing. I'd like to learn why.
 So I'm asking those most likely to know.

Much obliged,

Tammy

Tabitha M. Powledge				   25040 Old Brick Way
Science & Medical Writer + Editor			 Half-Pone Point
301-373-5466						 Hollywood, MD 20636
tam@xxxxxxxx					   	  FAX 301-373-3788