Re: TAME troubles

At 11:24 PM 9/6/2006, James Woolley wrote:
Michael, thanks very much for that suggestion, but deleting the Tame 5.1 folder did not make any difference. What's the next step, do you think? One person suggested off-list that it was time for a "system restore," but I'm hoping that such a blunt instrument won't be necessary.

James,
I've installed/uninstalled various iterations of TAME more times than I can count, and it has never left behind settings that affected the NTVDM window. So the suggestions I'm offering are based on the assumption that elements -- settings -- of the program were somehow left behind. Make sure \Program Files\Tame 5.1 and all sub-folders have been deleted. (In \Program Files\Tames 5.1\App Support\Commom\Settings there is _default.view.tam which has the settings for the console.) There are only two places where TAME has files: My Docs\Tame 5.1 and Program Files\Tame5.1\*.*. To be overly fastidious, or if you like, obsessive, make sure there are no TAME lines in Autoexec.nt. Finally, and perhaps anally, you can make sure all the TAME entries in the registry have been deleted; use RegEdit or a registry search tool to look for keys and values with the characters *TAMEdos* in them.
Another thought: I start XY from a .bat file (I also run NB, which
for reasons I can't explain, does not like TAME managing its NTVDM
module). To avoid this, I have a simple xywrite.bat. David Thomas
told me to create my WIN desktop shortcut from editor.exe, then
change the command line to start the .bat. If you were running XY
from a bat, and if your shortcut was created from that .bat file
instead of from the .exe, I think in the properties tab of such a
shortcut, there were settings to size the dos window. Perhaps you
should check for those.
Michael Norman