Re: Staying with XP after April 8 2014 (was Win 7 vs Win 8)

Interesting, Bill.  As you probably know, I don't mess with torrents.  (A number of reasons for that, but if I did, I'd probably want to be using something like Peer Guardian, in tandem with the P2P.)

Instead, I've used Open Office, on a couple OS platforms, and in more recent times mainly the portable OO under Windows.  (I've not yet jumped to the latest Apache editions, since they took over from Sun | Oracle.)  Outside of some mostly minor nuisances with the MS-forced file format changes, like .Doc to .Docx, this lookalike / work-alike suite has been a fine substitute.  The later file formats have almost certainly been addressed by now . . . and you would not have them pre - Office 2010, in any case.

  Jordan

From: Bill Troop
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, March 8, 2014 6:03 AM
Subject: Re: Staying with XP after April 8 2014 (was Win 7 vs Win 8)

Office 2007 is available in a famous 'blue' edition which does not require serial or activation:
http://mysticranger.wordpress.com/2008/04/01/microsoft-office-2007-blue-edition/ http://mysticranger.wordpress.com/2008/04/01/microsoft-office-2007-blue-edition/

Blue versions of later Office suites are not available. I find that because I need the latest OpenType typographical features (such as automatic ligature support), I am compelled to use the most recent versions of Office, and must deal with the trauma of the interface.