Re: Need advice re a new laser printer

First of all, unless you're running 2K or XP, or 9x on a network, the
printer will have to have a parallel connection: The NT-based opsyses
will let you map a parallel port to a USB port on the same PC, but 9x
requires that it be a real Network USB port, on another PC.

I don't have access to any bleeding-edge printers, but I do have access
to a couple that are later than anything for which there are native Xy
drivers. The chief problem areas are these:
1. Fonts: anything beyond the built-in Speedos is likely to be by guess
and by gosh. One can probably tweak the driver if one can get hold of the
font-related PCL commands; unfortunately, neither HP nor any other
printer manufacturer gives you a real manual anymore. You have to pay
through the nose for the technical one to get that kind of info.
2. HIgh-order ASCII chars: A lot depends on which ones you need. In my
tests, the accented letters work; smart quotes, true dashes, and the like
are more problematic.

Of the out-of-the-box drivers, the HP4 plus (5/11/95) and DJ560c
(10/6/94) seem to be the latest. I tested the HP 4 Plus today, printing
to a LaserJet 4000N (PCL 5 and 6 in firmware) and a DJ 855C. With Dutch
and Elegant Garamond (Speedos), all the characters I needed came out OK.
With other fonts, the quotes tended to print as 0.

The attached file is one I made up to test the chars I need. Decode it,
then edit it to include the ones you need, using the various fonts on
whichever driver you're testing. IF you can find someone with the printer
you want to try, and he or she will trust you enough to let you stick a
floppy in the floppy drive, print the file to a disk file (PRINTF) on a
floppy from your PC, then open a DOS prompt on the PC to which the
printer is attached, and type
copy a:filename.ext lpt1 /b
That final /b is essential; it won't work without it. The last page
mayn't eject. Anyone remember the code for form feed? I used to know it,
but have forgotten and haven't time to go hunting right now. Good luck.
Patricia