Re: Conversion filters (was NB Win availability)

Don't laugh. I remember a period of 6 months in 1979-80 when I
struggled to write my Ph.D. dissertation on a Texas Instruments Silent
700 terminal hooked up to a timesharing mainframe computer via a 300
baud modem.

I had 250 lines of "bubble memory" on the terminal, which I could edit
one line at a time. I would then upload 250 lines of text to the
mainframe, with embedded formatting commands (somewwhat like XyWrite,
in fact!). Then, at 300 baud, I would fiddle with a cranky, stone-age
text processing program to format the document, and wait 20 minutes or
so for the printout to be returned to me. Somehow, I completed a 264
page Ph.D. dissertation with zillions of footnotes and a 20 page
bibliography in this manner.

Recently, I discovered that very same model Silent 700 terminal (with
a telephone handset stuck in the plastic earmuff that made up the
modem) on display at the Smithsonian Institution as a relic of
computer equipment of the past.

I wonder if I can donate my PCjr Chicklet Keyboard and get a tax
deduction?

Steve Crutchfield

≪< mike shupp  11/ 6 12:06p ≫>