Re: TYP and newer printers

Apparently either the latest versions of Ghostscript, or new
Epson and Lexmark printers, are playing hob with the U2 routines
typ and xy2pdf.
Here are the texts of the batch files created (but not deleted,
as they should have been) by both routines:

File D:\XY4\JARKH9R1.BAT (from running xy2pdf)

@echo off
set GS_LIB=C:\GS\GS8.70\BIN\..\lib;C:\GS\GS8.70\BIN\..\..\fonts;
start /min /wait C:\gs\gs8.70\bin\gswin32C.exe -dCompatibilityLevel=1.2 -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=D:\XY4\test.PDF -c save pop -f D:\XY4\FO.PS
start /min GoXy.EXE "GSview Registration" q 1000 /CHR(13)
start /max /wait C:\GS\gHOSTGUM\GSVIEW\GSVIEW32.EXE D:\XY4\test.PDF
GoXy.EXE "{self}"
del D:\XY4\JARKH9R1.BAT

file d:\XY4\2hgcgeyf.bat (from running typ)
@start /min C:\gs\gs8.70\bin\gswin32C.exe C:\gs\gs8.70\bin\setup.ps -dBATCH -q -dNOPAUSE D:\XY4\FO.PS
fo.ps was in fact created, so one could call that in GSVIEW,
convert to PDF, and print thus. But what is preventing the U2
routines from completing normally?
My first thought was that I had updated both Ghostscript and
GSView, and the version numbers no longer matched. But I checked
XyWWWEb.reg, and the relevant stanzas read:

[Ghostscript]
;d:\path\GSWIN32C.EXE
Ghostscript_EXE_Win32=C:\gs\gs8.70\bin\gswin32C.exe
Ghostscript_EXE_OS/2=
Ghostscript_EXE_*nix=
;GsPrnDev=mswinpr2 dialog
GsPrnDev=mswinpr2 default
;GsPrnDev=ljet4
WinPrinter=
;d:\path\GSVIEW32.EXE
GSView_Win32=C:\GS\gHOSTGUM\GSVIEW\GSVIEW32.EXE
GSView_OS/2=
GSView_*nix=
;

And a directory listing of c:\gs\gs8.70\bin\*.exe yields:

GSWIN32C EXE
GSWIN32  EXE

And one of C:\GS\gHOSTGUM\GSVIEW\*.exe
yields
GSPRINT  EXE
GSVIEW32 EXE
GVWGS32  EXE
UNINSTGS EXE
The only thing I could not find was a subddir anywhere named \fonts, which appears to be referenced in JARKH9R1.BAT.
It is also true that both of my new printers pop up screens when
printing from Windows apps. The Epson (Stylus NX415) has to tell
me to use Genuine Epson Ink; the Lexmark (X36050) thinks it's a
modem (that was partly my fault: it's USB and as I have only 3
USB ports on my Netbook, I have to swap the printer and the
"modem"--actually an Evdo cellular AirCard. So the printer keeps
try to access the Internet, which it cannot do, because there's
no connection, because no modem installed, when I'm printing; but
I have to let ZoneAlarm allow it, or it won't print.)
These screens cannot pop up when Xy is running (not full-screen,
though I could probably get it on the Netbook, because XyWin at
least loads on that; haven't tried doing anything with it). Could
that be gumming up the works?
I don't think it's Vista (actually, the Netbook is running XP
Home), because I'm fairly sure I was printing to my old Epson
from the Vista laptop before that printer died.

Has anyone any ideas?

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx