Re: Flushing the delete buffer (WAS: pgm leaks code into text)

Tim Baehr wrote:

> You could also do the whole thing blind with the APPEND command:
> Define text; APPEND it to a pre-established scratch file; RD DF DF RD.
>
> In either case you end up with a slush bucket file of deleted scraps.
> Undeleting something could be messy (Define, Copy to a Save/Get, AS PV
> the Save/Get), but it would all be there. Periodic housekeeping would
> be necessary to keep the scratch file from overrunning the hard drive.

Funny, that's very close to something I set up for Xy 3 (I think even
before the Plus was added). I remapped all delete keys to define and
append to a scratch file that I kept on a large RAM disk. I also had the
keys add a divider character after every deleted chunk, to make it easier
for my low-tech undelete program to go through the scratch file (in
reverse order) and undelete any chunk that I asked for. Keeping the
scratch file on a RAM disk had the advantage that undelete was possible
even after Xy had been shut down and restarted repeatedly, but at the end
of the day, when the computer was turned off, the slate would be wiped
clean. (I rarely want to undelete over the space of several days, but of
course that would have been easy to achieve as well by keeping the file
on the hard disk.) After Xy 4 came out, with multiple undelete capability
built in, I gave up on my own concoction.

Wolfgang Bechstein
wolfie@xxxxxxxx