Re: Footnotes/Endnotes formatting

Michael,

I'm having trouble with the AT thing, too. I'm also using HP4-PLUS.PRN.
I'd suggest it's much easier, for this simple style, to do one CI on the whole file --assuming you're introducing the footnotes with "<just "<

ci /<No further problem. If you add a footnote and want to run the ci again,
just put a not-period in there:

ci /<--where [W-] is the wild "not" symbol that you get on a standard Xy kbd by
ctrl+alt+hyphen.
Hmmm, since there are a couple of steps here, here's the encoded XPL for
it--run U2's DECODE on it:
XPLeNCODE v2.0
b-gin [UNTITLED]
[TF_][XP_][BX_]ci {179}{<}FN1[w-].{179}{<}FN1. [w-].{179}[Q2_
]{<}EX{>}
-nd
XPLeNCODE
Thanks to Paul and Harry for their help so far. Before we launch anything, we're going to check again with the publisher. Meanwhile, we're going to prepare conventional footnote/end-of-the-book endnotes. And to that end...
To create a space in the *endnote* between the endnote number and the
beginning of the note, and to put a period after that endnote number,
David Auerbach suggested an easy alteration to the printer file.

MD FN=(*+ENDNOTE) in the mode table, then in the attribute definitions:

AT:ENDNOTE
AT<
AT>.
;AT=2
ET
AT>[period] produced the space, but not the period. Customization guide says AT> is the code sent to the printer to turn off the attribute. My printer (HP2200 [HP4-PLUS.PRN]) is interpreting the period as a space [if you remove the period, you get no space after the note number], or it's interpreting it as nothing and leaving a space. It would also seem than you can put several different characters after AT> and get a space, as if any character there, save escape, will force a space, AT>k, for example. What am I missing, or misinterpreting?

Michael Norman

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx