Re: XyWrite and TeX

Robert,

I'm guilty as accused!

The question is, does it make sense to recommend XyWrite to a newbie?
Yes, it's better than any editor I know, but---and I know you
disagree---to my taste it doesn't run well on W2K (and presumably not on
XP either). (I use a W98 for almost all my serious writing.) And is
there any way for someone to get hold of a copy of it?

Maybe I could put it on my "Remembrance of things past" page. OK,
OK---just kidding.

Come to think of it, is there a discussion anywhere of exactly in what
ways it is such a good editor?

Martin

Robert Holmgren wrote:

** Reply to message from "Martin J. Osborne" on Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:19:39 -0400 Martin:
http://theory.economics.utoronto.ca/xytex.php
"The TeX program takes as its input plain text files. The user must create and edit these files using other software. One alternative is to use a text editor, of which XyWrite is, needless to say, my favorite..." Needless to say! And yet... and yet... nary a reference to XyWrite to be found, anywhere else on your vast site. No paeans of praise, no links, no nuthin: "String xywrite not found on any page. Matches found in 0 of 672 files searched (of which 94 files were tagged to be ignored)" Acres of space devoted to TeX, though. I'm offended, and it looks like somebody else was too: he started tagging your files to be ignored, then (apparently) tired of the task. Or his carpal tunnel kicked in. But bitterness is abroad, Martin -- you need to act, fast, before the whole site is obliterated! ----------------------------- Robert Holmgren holmgren@xxxxxxxx -----------------------------
-- Martin J. Osborne Department of Economics 150 St. George Street University of Toronto Toronto M5S 3G7 Canada http://www.economics.utoronto.ca martin.osborne@xxxxxxxx http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/osborne