Re: Running XY 3 in DOS 6.22 in this daqy and age...

--- peregrine@xxxxxxx wrote:

> but I hadn't really
> considered setting up a BOOTABLE CD until
> reading your messages just now. Most computers
> these days will boot from CD ... fewer boot to
> a USB device ...
> but both are great ideas that are a potential
> boon to me.

There should be something here on the site under
"Portable Xy" that I think ties in to this idea.

You did not mention what OS the bootable CD would be
based on. I'm not sure if Win-32 is even an option
there, nor what sort of Win could work on a
(hopefully) bootable memory stick. Probably not W2K
or XP.

I have some bootable CDs that are based on FreeDOS.
Some early experimental attempts to copy *customized*
versions of them (mostly adding other programs and
utilities) instead ruined them and made the result
unbootable. I'm guessing that what I needed to pull
this off was some sort of mounted ISO filesystem with
editing capabilities -- like the free MKISOFS, plus
some decent GUI shell for it -- but I haven't had time
to follow up on this yet. Since Xy seems to like DOS
more than anything else that has come along (no need
for TAME or other workarounds), this might be a good
way to go.

> I imagine with a CD, I'd have to
> set XyWrite to use a default directory that
> exists on any computer (C: or C:/temp) and
> include the CD directory (usually D:) in the
> Path.

You wouldn't have this problem on the memory key, but
with a CD-based Xy, you need to be able to write Temp
files, etc. That can be solved with a RamDisk. The
CDs I referred to above (the working ones, before I
trashed the "enhanced" ones, already employ a RamDisk,
for other reasons.

Jordan