Re: va$nw ? [was va$wn ?]

** Reply to note from "..."  Sat, 1 Feb 97 08:30:10 +0000

Annie:

-> "VA $WA [...] Displays the number of the next available window
-> that XyWrite will use when a CALL or NEW command is executed.
-> (The NW default must be set at 1, 2, or 3.)"
->                    [Annie, quoting CG p234]

I think that Delphic pronouncement means that default NW must be set
greater than 0 for a new window to open automatically "when a CALL or
NEW command is executed". The oracle forgot that (s)he was talking
about VA $WA, not CALL or NEW (or READ or DIR or FIND...). Better
would have been, "Displays the number of the next available window that
XyWrite will use when a new window is opened. Displays zero when all
windows are in use." Evidently the oracle had not recently read Strunk
& White.

-> I'd wondered what the distinction was between VAs that do and
-> don't have a $, but haven't got into v4 xpl enough for it to
-> matter. I'm glad to read an explanation.

Actually xx|$xx pairs were common in III+, probably earlier versions as
well. I don't think they ever reliably returned different values when
default value <> current value; 'most always they both returned current
value (and still do).

-> ≪	Now, what was the question? ≫
-> A koan? 	--a

Ah, yes, I see! XyWrite documentation -- the sound of one hand
clapping.

Carl Distefano  * * *