>>>> PERHAPS EACH

XY-> Steve:

XY-> I've spent literally HOURS pouring over the arcane workings of
 -> the DLG files. Revealing what you can learn....

Steve,

Fascinating, isn't it? I would expect any number of different
people did the XPL for it. And the one who handled the user
character set I've nicknamed "Shakes" for his/her ability to run
up and down the entire DLG.

XY-> Buried in one version was a "Re-Open" dialogue section, which
 -> allowed the user to open previously edited documents. Most
 -> modern Windoze apps have this capability: the bottom of the
 -> File menu usually lists 4 to 6 recent documents/files. I ended
 -> up tying myself in knots trying to implement this in XyWrite: the
 -> stopper was trying to save the list of recently opened files
 -> between editing session.

I like the idea too. It would probably be "easiest" to write to
the Xy DFL, which seems to be the intention of the latter. What
was the name of that help frame?

What intrigues me is the "short menu" which has various
references, but I haven't paid enough attention to see if it was
buried in the Win DLG or something at TTG.

XY-> Also, in one verision of the DLG file for XyDos I found a
 -> rudimentary phone directory and dialer. It opened a file called
 -> "phones", listing names and numbers, and allowed the user to
 -> run a batch file in DOS to dial that number. I mucked around
 -> with it, and now all my common phone numbers are available
 -> on a special "Stuff!" pull down menu on the menu bar.

XY-> If there's interest, I can post the code for the "Stuff!" menu
 -> here or on the TTG BBS.

Whether you send it to Nathan or over the list, I'd certainly
enjoy studying it.

--Chet
---
 ? SLMR 2.1a ? Art + write + dtp = chet.gottfried@xxxxxxxx