Re: accents

Reply to note from Michael Norman  Sun, 07
Apr 2002 15:09:30 -0400

> I correct myself. Tilde is not in the keyboard file, not in
> mine, and alt-shft-ctrl 08 is the char code for bullet reverse.

The one-byte Ascii-8, in DOS and XyWrite, is a control character
that executes a Backspace-Delete. It's puzzling, therefore, that
Lisa's procedure would produce the desired macron overprint. On the
face of it, the Ascii-8 should cause a back-delete over the
character-to-be-accented, and the macron should then print by
itself. Evidently Lisa's printer executes the Ascii-8 as a simple
backspace, no delete. Or maybe it's a function of the flavor of DOS
being used. I don't know.

In any case, the solution to your problem lies with your printer and
your printer file. It has nothing to do with the keyboard file.

One way would be to insert a  command
between the character-to-be-accented and the macron. Here,
printer_control_string would be the instruction, specific to your
printer, to execute a backspace (no delete) before printing the next
character (the macron). If you're lucky, the printer's
documentation (printed or Web-based) will say what that instruction
is. If not, maybe the right person in Customer Support can help.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx