Re: XP on Mac vs. new Win 7/8 machine

I'm in process of getting a new computer to replace my dying ThinkPad vintage 2005. After much soul-searching, I decided on a Mac Mini. I'm happy with the Mac I have and I'm reluctant to invest in another Microsoft OS PC. The mini is much more practical than the Macbook Air I had my sights on. It's cheaper, has great connectivity, and I already have keyboard & monitor. Will report on success with Parallels with XP or Win 2K after I've had a chance to set things up.

Thanks to all for advice.

Lisa Kleinholz

From: Harry Binswanger
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, March 7, 2014 11:52 AM
Subject: Re: Staying with XP after April 8 2014 (was Win 7 vs Win 8)

Lynn,

As I've said before on this list, I am quite happy with Win 7 but it must
be 32-bit (to avoid having to run a virtual machine).

I would think that Win 7 32 bit will always be purchasable on ebay. Right
now, the "buy it now" prices range from $73.55 to a little over $100.

I did find a slight need to learn new stuff when I went from XP to Win 7.
It's a bigger transition than going from Xy 3+ to Xy IV but less than going
from the old Word to Word with "the ribbon" (if you are familiar with that
trauma).

Longer term, I'm hoping that Nota Bene will be our salvation.

--Harry

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/endofsupport.aspxhttp://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/endofsupport.aspx; http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/endofsupport.aspxhttp://www.lexitec.fi/english.htmlhttp://www.lexitec.fi/english.htmlhttp://www.lexitec.fi/http://www.lexitec.fi/