Re: Re need a new printer, but how to configure?

Has anyone considered the following as an end-run around the printer
compatibility problem?
Send a file to print over to WordPad or Word (I use Tim Baehr's simple
program to do that), then print from that program.
Tim's program uses WFW filters which seem to do a tolerable but not perfect
translation. For users, like me, who do not put a lot of iffy formatting in
their Xy files, the resulting Word(Pad) file prints fine. I set Tim's
program to translate the font to Times Roman by using the filter named
w4w17f.exe.
To make this really smooth, we would have to find some sort of command
switch to use when invoking Word(Pad) that would make it print the file
that it calls. I have little knowledge of Word(Pad), so I don't know if
that can be done.
But at worst, when the file comes up in Word(Pad) you have to click on the
printer icon (or use alt-F, P).

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx