Re: Saving to Floppy Disk under OS/2

On Sun, 1 Mar 1998, Robert Holmgren wrote:

> "Unknown unit" is a DOS error, passed by the operating system to XyWrite. This
> is a major, not minor, error, implying a failed interrupt 21H function call.
> I've never seen this error, but I think that the "unit" in question is
> generally an unsupported device, e.g. a disk drive. It could be that your A:
> drive is going south; mine fail from time to time... have you always had this
> problem, or did it just arise?

So far as I can remember, it's always been that way so long as I've been
using OS/2, which I installed in 1995. The computer was only a few months
old at that time, so I doubt if it's a problem with the A: drive. I don't
have any other problems with it.

> What version# of DOS are you using at home --

MS-DOS 6.22.

> Have you tried doing a CHKDSK A: /F on the floppy, to see
> what is reported?

I'll try that.

> Trying formatting your floppy on the OS/2 office machine,
> taking it home to write on it, then bring it back to the office for read/write,
> to see if it's a FAT table issue.

Maybe I'll try that. I use pre-formatted disks, so I'd think they'd work.

What fix pack level is OS/2 operating at?

Currently, no fix pack. I was using Fixpack 26, but at the end of
December, I had to re-install OS/2 because of some corrupted files. Since
I didn't save the Fixpack installation files, I had to download them
again, so I'm probably going to re-install Fixpack 26 this week, at last.
I've avoided FP 32 because I've heard that it isn't as stable. But I
think I still had that problem when I had FP 26 installed before.

What's taken so long is that FP 26 doesn't seem to be avaiable in the RSU
form any more. Fastkick didn't work, so I'm going to have to install the
fixpack the hard way, through floppy disks. I made all the floppies
today, so I may get it done tomorrow.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                     617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                   lawyer@xxxxxxxx
 Boston, MA 02108-2503            http://world.std.com/~lawyer/