Re: Nathan's floppy

I suspect that anyone who uses only the factory issue version of
XYDOS, with no U2 enhancements or XPL programs, will have no
trouble fitting the basic files on a single floppy without
resorting to zip files. The latter are the conventional way to
compress files, using any of a number of utilities (many
freeware) for the purpose. Many desktop utilities (e.g.,
Powerdesk Pro, which I use) have a zipper and unzipper built in.

Anyhow, Ted Stannard, if you do have such a straightforward
installation of XYDOS, open a DOS window, do
DIR  >C:\xydir.xy
where  is your main XYDOS program folder,
and send me offlist the file that appears in your root directory.
I can then propose, on the list of there is any interest, how to
fit the essential files on a floppy.

My floppy has the DOS system files installed, so all you have to
do is put it in the A: drive and turn the computer on. But since
the *.MNU and *.DLG have to be unzipped, to have the menus and
dialogs available you will have to create a directory on the
computer's hard disk and install the program there, unzipping the
zip files. It is plug and play only if you can get along without
the zipped files; that is, if you are willing to work completely
from the command line. For some people that is easy, and for
others impossible.

The cost of making the disk bootable is the 300+K out of 1400K
that the system files occupy. If you are willing to boot the
computer to DOS first, you don't need the system files even when
working directly from the disk. I should also mention that large
printer files, such as those for laser printers, won't fit on the
disk. Mine occupy about 700K, zippable to 114K. You could fit
them on in zip form if you don't include the system files, but
even so they would only work if you install the program on the
hard disk, and if the computer you are using has the same printer
as your own.

Cheers,
--
Nathan Sivin