From: Raphael
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2014 2:45 PM
Subject: Re: Linux

my pleasure, flash. I am happy to help out anyone who wants to try using
Ubuntu as his or her XyWrite platform. I think I've discussed with
someone else on this list the possibility of putting together a how-to
for XyWrite for the six or seven people who *might* be interested;
stepping someone through it here would be a great way to get started.

my best recommendation to anyone who is curious: take out an old laptop,
install it on that, and play around with it, or, failing that, download
a DVD ISO, burn it, boot it -- then spend a little time seeing how well
the things you use all day long (Firefox, Chromium, Thunderbird) or the
things very like them (LibreOffice) work. the days are long since gone
when Linux was command-line only; Ubuntu's Unity has some extremely cool
GUI stuff going on that puts BOTH Mac and Windows to shame.

-rafe