Re: xywrite save on 2 discs ---> now 1 disc and 1 cd

At 01:38 PM 11/24/03 -0500, Robert Holmgren wrote:

>** Reply to message from "Johan Carel van Haeften"
 on
>Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:18:54 +0100
>

>> Should I migrate to [post-v3.53] version and w[hich] one ?
>> What's my profit? All my programming in xy (.pm) will that still work?
>> Where can I get it? Legally? With manual?
>
>Very complex and opinionated question! You can certainly migrate, without
any
>pain at all, to a later version of Xy3+. Some important things happened
>between v3.54 and v3.56; the latter would be a good choice, probably. (I
get a
>little forgetful about some _loss_ of functionality, whether it happened with
>v3.56 or v3.57 -- maybe somebody who still uses Xy3+ can discuss that.)

I use 3.55. As I understood it, there was one change in 3.56, and that was
to remove the auto-expand in response to some company's meritless lawsuit.
I don't know what the changes were after that, and I didn't know there was
a 3.57, although if Robert says there was, I'm sure he's right.

>As for later versions, Xy4 for DOS is much more powerful than Xy3+, but does
>require some mental, and programming, adjustments.

This means that all my Xy3+ custom programming, which took me hundreds of
hours when I still had enough enthusiasm to stay up all night, cannot be
transferred to Xy4, but has to be completely rewritten? That would be a
challenge.

>> Q 2. ?===
>> I am reasonable happy with my 3.53 version, I can copy but
>> regrettable not paste.
>> Suspect there is no way to do that while running xy3.53 under DOS under
>> WIN98/se. Is it?

Do you want to paste from XyWrite to Windows files, or do you want to paste
from Windows files to XyWrite?

I have a WordPad link on my toolbar. When I want to paste from XyWrite to
Windows, I save to a temporary file C:\SAVE.TMP. Then I open WordPad, open
file C:\SAVE.TMP, select All, Copy, and paste it into the Windows file (an
email in Eudora, for example). It's klunky but I've been too lazy to
automate it.

When I want to paste from Windows to XyWrite, I copy the text to the
clipboard, go to XyWrite, and press alt-spacebar, E(dit), P(aste).

>Actually, there is an excellent way, if you have Xy3+ v3.55+; read this
thread
>for full information:
>
> http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/xysearch.cgi?xywrite/2003/msg02021.htm

I read the instructions briefly, although not with the attention it deserves.

As I understand it, this is a Windows program that will allow me to define
text in XyWrite 3.x, and use a hot key to save it directly to the Windows
clipboard. It looks like it would save me a few steps.

It's amazing how I've been willing to put up with inconveniences such as
extra keystrokes since I moved to Windows and didn't understand the system
that well any more.

Norman

Norman Bauman
411 W. 54 St. Apt. 2D